Sunday, April 25, 2010

ANZAC Day and a footy match!

Today is ANZAC day. A very special day for all Australians. I like to educate my children about this occasion. Anzac Day (the acronym ANZAC stands for Australian and New Zealand Army Corps, whose soldiers were known as Anzacs) is a national day of remembrance in Australia and New Zealand, and is commemorated by both countries on 25 April every year to honour members of the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC) who fought at Gallipoli in Turkey during World War I. It now more broadly commemorates all those who died and served in military operations for their countries.

Each year we get out Hugh's Great Grandfathers WWII medals and other memorabilia that has been handed down throughout the decades. Below is a little selection and also the compulsory ANAZC bickies (biscuits/cookies) that we all know and love.




Once our quiet reflective time is complete, it's all off to view either live or on the telly the national Aussie Rules football match. Hugh has been training hard to commence his own footy experience these past few weeks and will commence Under 10s on this day! How poetic.

A couple of week's ago they had some professional footballers from the Melbourne Football Club attend their training session. It was a fantastic occasion and great for these budding players.





So the big day arrived today and Hugh had an 8am (extremely uncivil hour on a Sunday morning!) game today. They looked the part and stood tall for their minutes silence to remember fallen ANZACs. Sadly they failed to score and were whalloped but Hugh did a magnificent job and got a kick and many awesome tackles. The only way is up from here.


Photos from the past couple of weeks. First my PCF52 from last week ... Hugh for the first time had a couple of sleep overs and loved them. I cannot lay claim to this shot (thanks Kim) but I just love how happy Hugh is at school and what a great group of buddies he is lucky to have.



This week's PCF had to recognise the beginning of Hugh's footy playing days. Probably the only time he will ever be seen this clean!


This week Amy has set the PCF challenge of vehicles. I took this shot a couple of week's ago and was really thrilled with my bokeh.


Having missed blogging last week I have two week's worth of scrapping pages to share with you all. Please remember to click on all images for credits.
A fabulous Oscraps collab "tweet tweet" has been released. Love all the elements in this kit.







Some new goodies from Sue Cummings:



Some new goodies from Nina Scraps Designs:





A lovely new kit from Ange Designs:



Another page using Natasha's spring kit:



Finally my dear friend Nini has released some more fabulous freebies on her blog. Be sure to drop by, say hi and nab these yummy goodies to play with.



Have a fabulous week everyone!

10 comments:

Life in Colors said...

Well hi!!! I was checking your blog almost daily, but no new entries unitll now!!!! Great to see some of your latest news!! Love those football photo's, is orange the color of Hugh's team?? How great, they are the Dutch colors, hehe. Have a great sunday, we are having a family bbq this afternoon and sunny weather !!!!
Take care!

Sue said...

Hey Helen,

It's good to read your blog again. I've been very remiss myself lately, so will have to make amends later!

My granddad (my mum's dad) served in Italy, Beirut & Syria during WW2 & I've got loads of old photo of him, standing in front of various military vehicles! And believe it or not, but my local supermarket sells those exact same Anzac biscuits ... they're delicious aren't they?!?!?!

Hugh looks like he's really growing into his footy kit. The black & red kit is what I see when they occasionally show Aussie rules footy on TV here! And how cool does he [& his mates] look with the shades on ... cool dudes!!!

You've created gorgeous LO's again Helen, some of which I realise I haven't commented on in the gallery, so I'm gonna head there now & leave some lovin'.

Hope you enjoy your long weekend (you get tomorrow off work for Anzac day don't you?) & have a fab week ahead.

Hugs,
Sue
-x-

MariaT said...

looks like a good time :)

LDArtist said...

WOW! How lucky you are to have those medals! Great memorials to such a difficult time in history. Those photos of the "footy" are wonderful, I see him holding a football, is "footy" the same as football (US)? Hmmm... And as always your SB pages are spectacular! I wish I was as creative!!! Just wonderful pages!!!

Leah said...

Ah boys and the sports! You gotta love them! I think he looks fantastic in his uniform. It's only the first game, he will do wonders I'm sure!

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your shot for PCF, it's very clever :)

Have a wonderful week my friend.

Amy said...

Glad you're back, missed you last week! That football games sounds curiously like our first baseball games, but it has gotten better.
Love to see the sports and family ties across the globe!

Heather Landry said...

I really love the photos of Hugh in his football uniform. It sounds like you have been super busy! The layouts you made are just stunning. I especially love the one of Katie just waking up.

Anonymous said...

Hey friend... saw the coolest Jane Austen book at the mall yesterday and thought of you. It was a treasury of her books and her life and had the coolest clear envelopes filled with letters and postcards in every chapter. I thought 'I'd buy this if I could sit down with Helen and pour over it'! It was too expensive to buy for myself!

A Look Into Nana;s World said...

I had to ask Ona last week what ANZAC day was..she gave me a good history lesson!! Very awesome celebration!! and that first photo is fabulous!! Also loving Hugh in his uniform!! but my fav has to be the one with them all in their sunglasses!! So cool!!

margote05 said...

Sorry Helen to have been absent so for a long time! I went on holiday, then in weekend and later, it made a beautiful sun to us. I thus crossed(spent) less time on the computer and I took advantage of my garden;)
As usual, I feast to come on your blog! Your photos and your pages are always magnificent! Good weekend!

Blog Archive