Saturday, April 25, 2009

That ANZAC spirit

Today is ANZAC day....a special day for all Australians. For those of you who don't know, it stands for Australian and New Zealand Army Corps. The whole psyche of what is an ANZAC evolved from the world wars but today to speak of the ANZAC spirit encompasses so much more. As we honour those who have worked to give us this amazing country we live in, it has also come to include that fighting, never give up, do what is right attitude.

We always like to do a few special things to commemorate the day. Today .... Den decided to make ANZAC bickies (biscuits/cookies) with Katie. I used to love them as a child, but now sadly coeliac disease prevents me from eating them. From "Sue's Daily Dish": Anzac biscuits are named after the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps established in WW1. It is thought that they originated during WW1 because of their long shelf life and tough texture which helped them to survive in war conditions. Now we enjoy them on Anzac Day to honour those Anzacs that fought at Gallipoli. Ingredients:

1 cup rolled oats
1 cup plain flour
Half cup sugar
3/4 cup desiccated coconut
125g butter
2 Tbsp golden syrup
Half tsp bicarb soda
1 Tbsp hot water


Yes! Den is the cook in the family and Katie his number one helper.



I don't think they are going to last out the day.


Isn't licking the bowl the best bit?
Hugh and I always pull out my Grandpa's war medals and he loves to wear them for the day, as we remember and look at old family photos.

And to follow up a story of a couple of days ago. Thank you to everyone for their supportive comments regarding the whole cross country debarcle! I chatted with Hugh and then I decided to call and talk to the PE/Sport teacher. I wanted to stipulate that it was not about medals or placements (though I doubt many would see it that way). To me it was about setting the right example to all the children. To have that child stand up in a school assembly and be commended, well that was just all wrong to me. We acted not only for Hugh, but for all the kids that did the right thing and ran the proper course. I said to Hugh when life presents us with situations such as this we have two choices - do nothing or do something. And I continuted, "something" - and Hugh finished my sentence - "is better than nothing". I was nervous to see how things would unfold. I could not go to the assembly my stomach was in such knots. I eagerly awaited Hugh's return home from school yesterday and the ringing of his bike bell to say he was home.
I went out and Hugh said that the teacher had called the boys in and the child fessed up to cutting the course.
A rather timely outcome, wouldn't you say, on this day of acknowledging and celebrating doing the right thing and staying the course.
Long live the spirit of the ANZAC.

5 comments:

Annika said...

Ooohh...yummy..the look sooo good!! Can I have one? Prettyplease?! Good on you for calling, I bet it feels so much better to have done that, as you said, it was not only for Hughs benefit but for all the children that did it right!!!

Leah said...

Those do look yummy!

Glad all was settled and the kid fessed up to cutting the course. I'm glad the situation was resolved and Hugh saw that doing something, resulted in something!

Yummers! said...

Boyd asked me yesterday if I new what ANZAC day is. I remembered you talking about it last year but couldn't give him any details. He's the king of the 'internet search' so he did get his answer. Now I'll show him your post. Thanks! The cookies look and sound good. Love anything with coconut and oatmeal. Yummers!

Previous post... I saw your LO about 'the craze' in the gallery... somehow missed it was yours as I was focusing on the LO itself. I thought it was the best of the gallery. Love it!!

Glad things worked out well with Hugh's race. You handled it well and get set cuz there's years of that (word bleeped) to come in the years of sports and cheerleading.

Jodie Redman said...

Yum! I planned to make some but they didn't eventuate! I am glad all got resolved with Hugh and the cross country saga!

Val said...

Great cookies, and you did GREAT helen. You are a fab. exemple for your kids... and us ;-)
TFS

Blog Archive